We hand out one game ball to the San Francisco 49ers from the Niners’ final game of the 2018 NFL Preseason, a 23-21 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.
On yesterday’s Locked On 49ers Podcast, host Brian Peacock provided “stock up” and “stock down” analysis for players in key positional competitions, and handed out one game ball from the San Francisco 49ers’ loss to the visiting Los Angeles Chargers in Week 4 of the 2018 NFL Preseason.
After mounting a late comeback led by fourth-string quarterback Jack Heneghan, the 49ers lost their final exhibition game when Chargers kicker Roberto Aguayo converted a 26-yard field goal attempt as time expired. But this game wasn’t about securing a victory, it was about securing final roster spots — and our lone game ball goes to a player who did exactly that:
49ers WR Richie James
The final game ball of the preseason goes to the 49ers’ final pick of the 2018 NFL Draft — and Brian’s final pick in his 2018 49ers Shadow Draft — wide receiver Richie James. The Niners appear to have struck gold again in the seventh round of the draft with this explosive wideout, who played his way onto San Francisco’s final 53-man roster with another standout performance on Thursday night.
While his fellow wide receivers combined for just 17 total receiving yards, James caught seven passes for 80 yards in Thursday’s contest. In addition to his work on offense, James was productive on special teams, which was highlighted by a 23-yard punt return.
Over the course of the 2018 NFL Preseason, James led the San Francisco 49ers with 15 catches for 192 yards, and a game-winning touchdown catch in Week 1. Any question about the rookie’s roster status was put to rest in Week 4, as James accounted for nearly half of the 49ers’ passing attack:
Listen to Locked On 49ers host Brian Peacock’s review of the San Francisco 49ers’ Preseason Week 4 matchup with the Los Angeles Chargers — including “stock up” and “stock down” player analysis — on yesterday’s Rapid React podcast:
PODCAST: Deebo Samuel Out 10-16 Weeks, Jamal Adams Wants to be a Niner
- Deebo Samuel breaks foot in passing session with Jimmy Garoppolo
- Deebo could miss up to 16 weeks
- In-house options to start if Deebo is out Week 1
- Should the 49ers look at free agent wide receivers like Antonio Brown?
- Jamal Adams demanded a trade from the Jets and listed the 49ers among his 7 preferred teams
PODCAST: 49ers beat writer Matt Barrows of The Athletic
- Guest: Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer for The Athletic
- Kyle Shanahan contract extension
- Is John Lynch next and could the front office get restructured to bump Adam Peters to GM?
- Over/under $16mm per year for George Kittle
- Jimmy Garoppolo and Raheem Mostert are candidates for new derals
- Don’t sleep on Kendrick Bourne as a starter over 1st round pick Brandon Aiyuk in 2020
PODCAST: Shanahan on Racism, Charlie Woerner Scouting Report
- Kyle Shanahan addresses racism in America
- Jimmy Garoppolo’s vast potential according to his head coach
- Scouting Report on sixth round Georgia tight end Charlie Woerner