We hand out a single game ball to the San Francisco 49ers from the Niners’ 34-3 blowout victory over the Oakland Raiders in the final “Battle of the Bay,” under the lights on Thursday Night Football.
On today’s Locked On 49ers Podcast, host Brian Peacock provided a rundown of the Niners’ best game of the season — including game notes and key takeaways — and handed out a single game ball from the San Francisco 49ers’ blowout win over the Oakland Raiders in Week 9 of the 2018 NFL regular season.
The San Francisco 49ers’ 31-point victory in the last “Battle of the Bay” was a true team effort, but one player put the team in a position to succeed — and surprisingly, that player was third-string quarterback Nick Mullens:
49ers QB Nick Mullens
Prior to yesterday’s game, Mullens — an undrafted free agent in 2017 — had yet to play a snap at the NFL level after spending the majority of his short career on the 49ers’ practice squad. Yet when 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan called on Mullens to start his first game as a pro, the young QB looked like a seasoned veteran as opposed to a wide-eyed rookie.
Mullens was cool and composed in his first NFL action, as he led the 49ers down the field on two consecutive touchdown drives to start the game. Mullens took command of the offense in the huddle and pumped up his teammates on the sideline — and when he wasn’t busy providing the leadership San Francisco desperately needed, Mullens was making plays and setting records by racking up yardage and touchdowns in one of the top quarterback debuts in NFL history.
Mullens finished the game with a passer rating of 151.9, and completed over 72 percent of his passes for 262 yards and three touchdown scores. After playing the game of his life on the big stage of Thursday Night Football, Mullens secured his role as the San Francisco 49ers’ new starting quarterback:
Listen to Locked On 49ers host Brian Peacock’s review of the San Francisco 49ers’ Week 9 victory over the Oakland Raiders — including game notes and key takeaways from the Niners’ second win of the 2018 season — on Friday’s Rapid React podcast:
PODCAST: Offseason and the Wide 9 with Matt Barrows of The Athletic
- Guest: Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer for The Athletic
- Matt almost ended Darrell Green’s career playing driveway hoops
- The Wide 9 alignment and how it affects current DL group and draft
- Where will Dee Ford line up on defense?
- Front office doesn’t seem worried about the extensive injury history on the roster
- What’s the plan at No. 2?
PODCAST: Winky Wednesday, OBJ Trade Info, 49ers Meet Quinnen
- 49ers hire a new trainer
- Giants asked for DeForest Buckner in Odell Beckham trade negotiations
- 49ers met with top prospect Quinnen Williams at Alabama pro day
- Did Kwon Alexander get too much money?
- Free safety and cornerback options in mid-late first round range
PODCAST: NFL Draft Discussion with John Chapman
- Guest: John Chapman of 49ers Rush podcast, Eat Sleep Fantasy
- Continuing the Quinnen Williams vs Josh Allen debate
- A forgotten edge prospect with first round talent
- Kelvin Harmon, the alpha WR your team needs