We hand out two game balls to the San Francisco 49ers from their second straight road win — a 26-16 victory over the Houston Texans
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
Garoppolo continued his victorious ways on Sunday, winning his second game in as many starts in a 49ers uniform. The Niners’ new quarterback — who some have nicknamed Jimmy “Franchise” Garoppolo — finished the game with a career-high 334 yards on 33 pass attempts. Garoppolo also added his first touchdown pass as a starter for his new team.
Garoppolo did throw his second interception in as many games, and was sacked twice. The 49ers had a less-than-stellar day on third down — converting just two of 11 attempts — thanks to penalties and a lackluster rushing game that netted just 3.3 yards-per-rush.
However, Garoppolo continued to excel when he was given manageable passing situations, and was more aggressive throughout the game, trusting his receivers to make plays on a number of 50/50 balls. Garoppolo ended the game with a 92.2 quarterback rating, and was a primary reason San Francisco won their third game of the season.
DT Earl Mitchell
Mitchell played well in his “revenge game” against his former team, posting his highest Pro Football Focus run-grade — 84.7 — of the season. Mitchell didn’t light up the stat sheet, but he provided consistent penetration, and helped hold Houston’s running backs to under 60 total rushing yards.
Mitchell’s best play of the game was a key stop on a 4th-and-1; the defensive tackle knifed into the Texans’ backfield to bring down running back Lamar Miller for a loss, resulting in a turnover on downs.
Check out what Locked On 49ers Podcast host Brian Peacock had to say about the San Francisco 49ers’ third win of the season:
PODCAST: Dre Greenlaw and Kaden Smith Scouting Reports
- Scouting report on 5th round LB Dre Greenlaw
- Scouting report on 6th round TE Kaden Smith
- Reuben Foster out for the year with torn ACL
- New York Jets front office turmoil
- Marshawn Lynch, actor
PODCAST: Matt Barrows of the Athletic
- Guest: Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer for The Athletic
- Rookie linebacker Dre Greenlaw’s path from group homes to the NFL
- OW’s are the new black
- Jimmy Garoppolo and young pass catchers may need a little time to jell
PODCAST: Winky Wednesday, DeFo Contract, Hard Knocks
- 49ers won’t appear on Hard Knocks in 2019
- Listener mailbag
- Could they let DeForest Buckner walk instead of sign him to a long term mega-deal?
- Will Nick Bosa holdout like his brother?